- Historic California
Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
- Camp Dragoon Bridge
- This post was established a half mile
south of the town of Litchfield in August of 1860 by 1st Lieutenant
John Hamilton, Company l, 3rd Artillery, with the mission to
protect the nearby bridge across the Susan River and the settlements
of the Honey Lake Valley in what is today Lassen County. The
post consisted of a 18 by 30 foot building and a stone coral.
On September 17, he left with 27 men of the company for the Presidio
of San Francisco, leaving 2nd Lieutenant E. R. Warner in command.
The post, apparently intermittently garrisoned, was reportedly
in existence until sometime in 1863.