Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Established on a local racetrack at Stockton,
county seat of San Joaquin County, in May 1861, the Civil War
post was named for Henry
Wagner Halleck California's first secretary of state during
its military government, 1846-50 and later a Major General in
the California State Militia and General in Chief of the Union
Army. Seven hundred men from the 3rd
California Volunteers in Benecia were stationed here. On
July 12, 600 men left the post on an overland march to Salt Lake
City to establish Camp (now Fort) Douglas. Camp Halleck wars
abandoned sometime in 1863.
Camp Halleck's site is located at the
southeastern corner of the intersection of Charter Way and Airport
Way in Stockton.