Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Pilot Knob
Camp Pilot Knob was at the southern end
of the California-Arizona Maneuver Area (CAMA) just north of Yuma,
Arizona. The 6th and 85th Infantry Divisions trained here. To
reach the site, go north one mile on Sidewinder Road from its
junction with Interstate Highway 8 just northwest of Yuma. The
camp can be seen from Sidewinder Road.
Source: World War II Sites in
the United States: A Tour Guide and Directory by Richard E. Osbourne
Camp Pilot Knob, was located five miles
to the northwest of Yuma, Arizona. The map coordinates are latitude
32°, 44', 25" north and longitude 114°, 43', 10"
west. The site is located on the Quechan Tribe of the. Fort Yuma
A total of 18 tracts of land (4004.75
acres) comprised the total camp area. Between January and April
1943, the War Department acquired 1559.66 acres via Use Permit
from the Department of the Interior; 1067 acres via permits from
private individuals, 640 acres from the state of California.
No formal permission was obtained for 80 acres from the Department
Interior and 658.09 acres from private individuals.
As part of the California - Arizona Maneuver Area (CAMA), later
renamed the Desert Training Center, Camp Pilot Knob was designed
as a temporary location to train troops (initialy the 85th Infantry
Division) in desert warfare. The only structures erected on the
land during the Army's use were temporary latrines (box type
with fly), and pyramidal wood framed tents.
The land reverted back to the original owners when the Army canceled
1725.09 acres of the lesser interest permits during the period
1 June 1944 to 27 February 1945 and a 640 acre lesser
interest permit on 28 October 1952. The public domain areas were
relinquished to the Department of the Interior on 20 April 1945
(1559.66 acres-Use Permit) and on 24 December 1948 (80 acres-no
formal permission obtained). currently, the 18 former tracts
that comprised Camp Pilot Knob can be tracked to approximately
76 parcels totaling 3886.75 acres. Of the 76 parcels that comprise
the camp, 16 (2566 acres) are owned by the government through
the Bureau of Land Management. The remaining 60 parcels (1320.75
acres) are owned by the private sector. Approximately 118 acres
are not accounted for due to the expansion of the Interstate,
railroad right-of-ways, and other miscellaneous right-of-ways.
Source: Los Angeles District,
US Army Corps of Engineers