Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Gold Bluffs Post
Other than its location between the towns of Klamath and Orick in Humboldt County, not definitive archival evidence has been found to conlfirm the existence of a military post there, reportedly established in 1863 and abandoned sometime in 1864. The site was discovered in the fall of 1850 by Hermann Ehrenherg and named Gold Bluffs because of the gold found in the sand washed down from the bluffs. The fact that it was the site of extensive mining operations over the years suggests that protection had been required and that a minimally garrisoned military post was provided.