University of California at San Diego, private land: Genessee
Ave to N. Torrey Pines Rd. (foundations to the south). The old
main entrance is at the Torrey Pines Inn off of Torrey Pines
Camp Callan was built in November of 1940 as a Coast Artillery
Corps replacement training center for new inductees. Open for
business in January of 1941, it was named for Maj. Gen. Robert
Callan. By 1942, the post had over 297 buildings, covered 23
blocks, had 5 post exchanges, 3 theaters and 5 chapels. About
15,000 men went through a 13 week training cycle with a strong
emphasis on modern coast artillery and anti-aircraft defense
weapons. The Anti-Aircraft training program was moved to Ft.
Bliss, Texas, in 1944 and Camp Callan was declared surplus in
November 1945. Most of the buildings were purchased by the city
of San Diego and sold for salvage. Today, the site contains a
variety of developments including: the Torrey Pines golf course,
several private businesses and research facilities, a glider
port and a section of the University of California at San Diego.
A few foundations remain in the area to the north of the University
of California Campus.
March AFB: Camp was located on Army Air
Corps property on the west side of Interstate 215.
Developed in November 1940 as a Coast Artillery anti-aircraft
training center on property adjacent to March Air Field, Camp
Haan (named after Maj. Gen. William G. Haan, C.A.C.) was opened
in January 1941. By October of 1941, the Camp had 353 buildings,
2,459 floor tents, 6 exchanges, 5 chapels, a hospital, 18 miles
of sewers, and 28 miles of streets. By 1942, the Camp was serving
as an Army Service Force Depot and a prisoner of war camp in
addition to its AA duties. After serving briefly as a separation
center, Camp Haan was closed on August 31, 1946. The buildings
were sold for surplus and the property returned to the Air Corps.
Today much of the land that was Camp Haan has been used by the
Air Force for a cemetery, housing, a golf course, and the HQ
of the 15th Air Force. A few foundations remain in the northern
section of the old camp. The March Air Force Museum has a display
on Camp Haan.
Monterey Bay Academy, Watsonville off of State Highway One on
San Andres Drive.
A 400 acre site was purchased in the late 1930s as a training
site for the 250th Coast Artillery Regiment (CNG). Following
the expansion of the Army in 1940, the camp was developed as
a Coast Artillery Training Center. In 1943, the post was converted
to the West Coast Processing Center, the official stockade for
all the stateside Army AWOLs and other troublemakers. With the
warís end, the post was declared surplus. Several buildings
remain at the site, most have been substantially altered.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster