Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Mattole
 
A temporary post located 24 miles west of Weott in Humboldt County, it was established in early 1864 by 2nd Lieutenant William W. Frazier, commanding a detachment of Company E of the 1st Battalion of Mountaineers. which was organized in 1863 for service against Indian hostiles in Humboldt County. Company E was raised by Captain John P. Simpson in Mendocino County and mustered into Army service at Fort Humboldt. Lieutenant Frazier and his men had several engagements with the Indians on the Lipper Mattole River during February 1864. killing 13 of them and capturing 21 prisoners.
 
 
 
Additional Online Histories
 
Wikipedia
 
 
Search our Site!
Google
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
 
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
 
Updated 8 February 2016