Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Silver Peak Light Annex
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1993)
Silver Peak site is located on top of Silver Peak Mountain at
an approximate elevation of 4211 feet. Silver Peak is 6 miles
north of Victorville, California near Oro Grande National Trails
Highway, in Section 10 and Section 15 Township 6 N Range 4 W,
San Bernardino Meridian, in San Bernardino County, California.
Site History: The U.S. Army Air Forces acquired 1.25 acres
for installation of a navigational beacon light. A tower with
a navigational beacon light, a small building, and a power pole
line with transformer were constructed. The site became an appurtenance
of Victorville Army Air Field (later George Air Force Base).
The U.S. Air Force transferred the 0.63 acres back to the U.S.
Bureau of Land Management on 11 July 1967 and terminated the
lease with the Southwestern Portland Cement Company on the 0.62
acres on the 20 April 1967. All improvements were removed by
the U.S. Air Force. The Southwestern Portland cement Company
is presently leasing the site to 14 separate companies. These
companies have constructed microwave communication towers and
small radio buildings on the site.
US Army Corps
of Engineers Los Angeles District History (1994)
The Silver Peak site consisted of a total
1.25 acres. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management transferred 0.63
acres to the U.S. Army Air Forces on 1 May 1943. The U.S. Army
Air Force leased the remaining 0.62 acres under lease No.W-04-193-ENG-6313
from the Southwestern Portland Cement Company on 1 May 1943.
The subject property was acquired by the
U.S. Army Air Forces, for installation of a navigation beacon
light. Improvements included a small building, a tower for the
beacon, power pole, power distribution line and transformer.
These improvements were made between 1 May 1943 and 20 April
1967. 3. The site was declared excess property by the Air Force
on 20 April 1967. The lease with the Southwestern Portland Cement
Company for the 0.62 acres was terminated on 20 April 1967 and
the 0.63 acres was transferred back to the U.S. Bureau of Land
Management on 11
July 1967. All improvements were removed by the Air Force. The
Southwestern Portland Cement Company is currently leasing the
0.63 acre portion of the site from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management
and in turn subleasing the entire area to 14 other companies
for the operation of microwave communication stations.