Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp Jackson
(Camp near Ione City)
This post, located near lone (formerly lone City), Amador County, then in a gold mining region, was established by Company D, 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry, in March 1865 and remained in garrison for three months.
In 1865, the publisher or the Amador Distpatch, William Penry bought a building that still stands at 37 Main Street in the rearby town town of Jackson. The Dispatch's fiery editorials in support of the south, and intemperate remarks upon the death of Abraham Lincoln, goaded federal authorities to close the paper and arrest its editors. Thus, in early May, 1865, troopers from the 2nd California Cavalry cordoned off the building, front and back, and led Penry and L.P. Hall in chains down to Camp Jackson in lone. Later, they spent time at Alcatraz. Union-supporting townsmen got revenge, too. They torched the building, forcing Penry on his return to tear the second story down. It's been a one-story building ever since since.