Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Lockheed Air Terminal
 
 
This airport, in the northwest corner of Burbank, was built in 1930. By 1934 the airport had become Los Angeles' primary airport known as Union Air Terminal. During the1930's Lockheed Aircraft Company, adjacent to the field, evolved into one the nation's largest aircraft manufacturers, and in 1940 Lockheed purchased the airport. It was then renamed Lockheed Air Terminal and used to test and delivery Lockheed aircraft. It also remained Los Angeles' primary civil airport and remained the area's only civil airport throughout the war. During the war Lockheed built P-38 fighters, Hudson and B-17 bombers. The Royal Air Force's Air Technical Services Command and US Army Air Forces Western Technical Training Command had operations at the field. The airport and the Lockheed plant were extensively camouflaged during the war. The main Lockheed plant and runways were made to appear as grain fields and houses, and the parking lot was covered over with netting to appear as alfalfa fields. In addition, an extensive smoke screen system was installed to hide the plant under smoke. See photographs below for examples of this deception.
 
In 1947, when Mines Field was expanded to become Los Angeles' primary airport, this facility became a secondary airport. In 1975 the cities of Burbank, Glendale and Pasadena bought the airport and renamed it Burbank Glendale-Pasadena Airport. Lockheed continued in operation at the field for many years.
 
Source: World War II Sites in the United States: A Tour Guide and Directory by Richard E. Osbourne
 
 
Additional Historical Information: The US Air Force (USAF) facility at Lockheed Air Terminal is shown in a 1952 Headquarters, USAF installations directory as occupying 409 acres and operated by the Air Pictorial Service. The 1354th Video Production Squadron activated there in December 1952 and moved to Orlando AFB in late 1953 according to a 2002 Air Force News Service story. Lockheed Air Terminal transferred from Military Air Transport Service to Air Materiel Command (presumably inactive), March 1, 1954 by Department of the Air Force General Order 21, May 21, 1954.
 
 
Images of Lockheed Air Terminal during World War II
 
 
 

Extract, War Department Inventory of Owned, Sponsored and Leased Facilities, 1945

Army Air Forces Technical Training School, Lockheed Aircraft Corporation
 

 

Additional Online Histories
 
Lockheed-Martin Corporation
 
 
Army Units Assigned to Camp Kohler
 

 Data Source

Date(s)

 Unit(s)
 Army of the United States Station List  1 June 1943
Air Depot Detchment (Pacific Airmotive Divition of Airplane Manufacturing and Supply Corp.) (AAF)
Air Depot Detchment (Western Airlines) (AAF)
Training Detachment Vega Aircraft Corporation (Civilian Contract Factory School, Airframes) (AAF)
Headquarters, 13th Transport Transition Traing Detachment (Western Airlines) (AAF)
74th Chemical Smoke Generator Company (Colored) (WDC)
174th Chemical Smoke Generator Company (Colored) (WDC)
733rd Military Police Battalion (Zone of the Interior) (Colored) (WDC)
603rd Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft) (Semi-Mobile) (less Band and 3rd Battalion) (WDC)
 Army of the United States Station List  7 April 1945
63rd Signal Radar Maintenance Unit, Type C (AAF)
3715th Army Air Forces Base Unit (Factory School) (Lockheed Aircraft Factory School)
AAF - Army Air Forces units AGF - Army Ground Forces ASF - Army Service Forces units WDC - Western Defense Command
 
Extract, US Army Air Forces Airfield Directory, January 1945
 
 
 
Search our Site!
Google
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
 
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
 
Updated 29 March 2016